The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Dentist administers anesthesia

About This Item

Title

Dentist administers anesthesia

Subject

Dentists
Anesthesia, Inhalation
Anesthesia, Dental
Masks
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Photographs

Description

Dentist with assistant administer anesthesia to a patient with an anesthesia mask.

Creator

Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 30, photo no. 40
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

between 1904 and 1906

Identifier

PGH_30_40

Is Part Of

Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980. Blockley photographs

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 20th Century

Original Format

1 photograph : sepia

Physical Dimensions

9 x 11 cm

Citation

Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980, “Dentist administers anesthesia,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed November 26, 2020, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/855.