About This Item
Department of Charities and Correction
Philadelphia General Hospital
Office possibly located in adminstration building.
Back of image: A doctor office before 1900
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 19, photo no. 1
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
History, 19th Century
1 photograph : albumen print, sepia
15.5 x 20.5 cm
“Department of Charities and Correction,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 16, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/788.