The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia

About This Item

Title

Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia

Subject

Physicians
Music
Recreation
Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia
Photographs
Portraits

Description

Glee Club with instruments.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 17, photo no. 6
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

1896

Identifier

PGH_17_6

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph : sepia

Physical Dimensions

29 x 39.5 cm

Citation

“Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 30, 2020, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/780.