About This Item
Philadelphia General Hospital
Da Costa, J. Chalmers (John Chalmers), 1863-1933
J. Chalmers DaCosta operating in front of class, nurses and physicians present.
J. Chalmers DaCosta was a member of was a member of PGH Surgical Staff. Pfahler was resident physician at PGH, 1898-1902.
Back of image: Surgical Amphitheatre/Dr. J Charles [sic] DaCosta operating./Old Blockley Phila Hosp/1900.
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 3, photo no. 11
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Is Part Of
Pfahler, George E. (George Edward), 1874-1957. Pfahler collection
History, 19th Century
12 x 17 cm
“Surgical Amphitheater,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed January 25, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/665.