The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Courtyard

About This Item

Title

Courtyard

Subject

Almhouses
Hospitals, Urban
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Photographs

Description

Group of men from Almshouse present.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 3, photo no. 10
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

ca. 1900

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_3_10

Is Part Of

Pfahler, George E. (George Edward), 1874-1957. Pfahler collection

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph

Physical Dimensions

12 x 17 cm

Citation

“Courtyard,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 18, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/664.