The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Operating room

About This Item

Title

Operating room

Subject

Operating Rooms
General surgery
General surgery--Education
Physicians
Nurses
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Pfahler, George E. (George Edward), 1874-1957
Photographs

Description

Six physicians, five nurses present during operation, Pfahler and assistant wearing gloves.
Back of image: Operating room, Dr. Pfahler on right, Old Blockey Philadelphia.
Pfhaler's assistant was Johnson, resident physician at PGH in 1901.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 3, photo no. 9
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

ca. 1900

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_3_9

Is Part Of

Pfahler, George E. (George Edward), 1874-1957. Pfahler collection

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph

Physical Dimensions

12 x 17 cm

Citation

“Operating room,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 16, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/663.