About This Item
Philadelphia General Hospital
Nurses making surgical dressings .
Back of image: Miss Fisher to left, Miss Anna Ingram, Old Blockey Philadelphia Hospital
Anna D. Ingram graduated from PGH School of Nursing in 1902, Fisher graduated in 1902. Pfahler was resident physician at PGH, 1898-1902.
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 3, photo no. 8
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed "Old Blockley," because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Is Part Of
Pfahler, George E. (George Edward), 1874-1957. Pfahler collection
History, 19th Century
12 x 17 cm
“Nurses,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 16, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/662.