The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Men's Nervous Ward

About This Item

Title

Men's Nervous Ward

Subject

Psychiatric Department, Hospital
Mentally Ill Persons
Physicians
Nurses
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Harris, Thomas J.
Revell, Margaret R.
Photographs

Description

Patients seated for meal, resident physician and nurse present.
Margaret R. Revell graduated from PGH School of Nursing in 1890. Harris was resident physician at PGH in 1889.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 1, photo no. 15
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

1888

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_1_15

Is Part Of

Bower, John L. (John Lincoln), 1865-1955. Bower album

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph : albumen print, sepia

Physical Dimensions

9 x 12.5 cm

Citation

“Men's Nervous Ward,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed July 7, 2022, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/617.