About This Item
Amelia Weed Gilmore
Philadelphia General Hospital
Gilmore, Amelia Weed
West, Roberta Mayhew
Amelia Weed Gilmore seated with Roberta West.
Amelia Weed Gilmore was resident physician in charge of the Women's Insane Department at PGH from 1888-1894. Roberta West was assistant chief nurse at PGH from 1887 to 1893.
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 1, photo no. 14
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Is Part Of
Bower, John L. (John Lincoln), 1865-1955. Bower album
History, 19th Century
1 photograph : albumen print, sepia
9 x 12.5 cm
“Amelia Weed Gilmore,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed July 7, 2022, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/616.