The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Resident Physicians' Room, Philadelphia General Hospital

About This Item

Title

Resident Physicians' Room, Philadelphia General Hospital

Subject

Physicians
Internship and Residency
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Photographs
Portraits

Description

Five men seated in one of the resident physician's rooms.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 1, photo no. 13
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

1888

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_1_13

Is Part Of

Bower, John L. (John Lincoln), 1865-1955. Bower album

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph : albumen print, sepia

Physical Dimensions

9 x 12.5 cm

Citation

“Resident Physicians' Room, Philadelphia General Hospital,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed July 6, 2022, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/615.

Related Exhibits

Teaching and Learning Anatomy: a 500 Year History