The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Marion E. Smith

About This Item

Title

Marion E. Smith

Subject

Nurses
Tea
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Smith, Marion E.
West, Roberta
Photographs
Portraits

Description

Marion E. Smith seated with Roberta West drinking tea.
Marion E. Smith was chief nurse at PGH from 1888-1903. Roberta West was Assistant Chief Nurse from 1887 to 1893

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 1, photo no. 9
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

1888

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_1_9

Is Part Of

Bower, John L. (John Lincoln), 1865-1955. Bower album

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Original Format

1 photograph : albumen print, sepia

Physical Dimensions

9 x 12.5 cm

Citation

“Marion E. Smith,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed July 6, 2022, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/611.