About This Item
Ether, Ethyl--Administration & dosage
Philadelphia General Hospital
Johnson, Minnie R.
Berridge, Mary R.
Humphrey, Glennis Eugene
Stengel, Alfred, 1868-1939
Carter, William Spencer
Ketcham, S. Rush (Stephen Rush), 1865-1926
McFarland, Joseph, 1868-1945
Leg operation scene: residents, nurses present, three residents in street clothing, ether cone in use.
Back of image: Back row, left to right: Minnie R. Johnson, Mary R. Berridge, Glennis Eugene Humpphrey, Alfred Stengel, William Spencer Carter. Around table: Leg operation scene: Stephen Rush Ketcham giving ether, Joseph McFarland with saw, Charles Walter.
Minne R. Johnson graduated from the PGH School of Nursing in 1890, Berridge graduated in 1889. John L. Bower was Resident Physician at PGH in 1888.
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 1, photo no. 1
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Is Part Of
Bower, John L. (John Lincoln), 1865-1955. Bower album
History, 19th Century
1 photograph : albumen print, sepia
9 x 12.5 cm
“Surgical Amphitheater,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/603.