Founded in 1866 and rebuilt after a fire in 1903, the Battle Creek Sanitarium of Battle Creek, Michigan was a health resort which employed holistic methods based on principles promoted by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. This mini-exhibition highlights some of the materials held at the Historical Medical Library that were produced by J.H. Kellogg, founder of The Sanitarium, including official Sanitarium publications, as well as those published by The Sanitarium Food Co. It is the first in a series of digital exhibits taken from physical exhibitions the Historical Medical Library curates for display on site in the historic headquarters of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, home of the Mütter Museum.
Tristan Dahn and Caitlin Angelone